I don’t usually title things “perfect” because its too feels like hype and nonsense. However, these really are the perfect keto muffins. I tested, and if I don’t tell a person, they cannot tell they are keto. That’s usually my measure for true success for a low carb baked good. Otherwise, and this applies to some of my creations, they are not great, just good enough.
These muffins are great.
They actually started life as a waffle batter I was trying to perfect. After about a week of varying quality waffles for dinner every night I had a recipe I was happy with. Then I calculated the nutrition info. ~1000 calories per waffle! So I decided to break the batter into smaller servings to make it a little less ridiculous. After a little more tweaking, the perfect keto muffins were born.
Be sure to check the nutrition label at the end of the recipie for the calories, fat, protein, and net carbs. They are beautifully well balanced for a ketogenic diet. Also, think of this recipe as a base. You can certainly enjoy them as is with no problem but the real magic comes in customization. Add cocoa powder, some acceptable sweetener and whip up a frosting to make them cupcakes. Add berries for some fruity sweetness. Add nuts. Go crazy.
Perfect Keto Muffins
Yeild 6 Muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 1/2 Tbsp steel cut oats, divided
- 2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Line a muffin tin with 6 muffin cups. I use silicone ones that I love because they are reusable and never stick.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk vigorously until they lighten in color and are frothy.
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Do not skip this step.
- Add all ingredients except for 1/2 Tbsp oats to the bowl.
- Mix until smooth.
- Equally divide batter into the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle a few oats on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Let them cool before consuming and store on the counter in an airtight container for up to 4 days.